SKW – North America
Steel is fundamental to the North American way of life. The U.S. depends on steel for its energy supply, transportation infrastructure, urban centers, manufacturing, clean water and safe food supply, to name just a few. SKW, particularly with its brands, Affival and ESM, has been active in the market since the 1980s and has come to know the market very well. Over the years, hard work and dedication has resulted in these brands becoming synonymous with engineering and metallurgical excellence.
- North American steel recognizes the chain of value through Service Excellence and competitive Total Cost of Ownership.
- The U.S. steel industry operates more than 100 steelmaking and production facilities, producing 98 million tons in steel shipments valued at $75 billion in 2014.
- The steel industry directly employs about 142,000 people in the United States and it directly, or indirectly, supports almost one million U.S. jobs.
- Labor productivity for the U.S. steel industry has improved five-fold since the early 1980s, when the average steel mill produced one ton of steel for 10.1 worker hours. The 2014 average was 1.9 worker hours per ton, with many facilities producing a ton of steel in less than one worker hour.
- Steel is the most recycled material in the world – more than aluminum, copper, paper, glass and plastic combined. In North America alone, more than 80 million tons of steel are recycled or exported for recycling each year.